Senior Finance Manager
Deadline of this Job:
25 August 2021
Date Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Senior Finance Manager
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development.
ACHIEVE is a five-year, USAID-funded global cooperative agreement with the dual objectives of attaining and sustaining HIV epidemic control among at-risk and hard to reach pregnant and breastfeeding (PBF) women, infants, children, and youth, as well as to mitigate the impact of HIV/ AIDS and prevent HIV transmission among these populations; and supporting the transition of prime funding and implementation to capable local partners in order to meet the PEPFAR goal of 70% of funding to local partners.
ACHIEVE is funded by USAID in Tanzania to implement a four-year activity (October 2020 to April 2024) which aims: (1) to improve national- and community-level social welfare systems in order to sustain support for orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and families affected by HIV and (2) to strengthen the capacity of local organizations to deliver OVC services and (3) to deliver high quality OVC services and DREAMS interventions for AGYW 9-14 years.
Oversee the financial operations of Pact Tanzania. The Senior Finance Manager will work closely with the Director of Finance and Administration, Pact Regional and HQ Finance staff to ensure compliance and effective, proactive fiscal management of programs and sub-awards.
The Senior Finance Manager will review and where necessary establish procedures and internal controls for cash management, procurement, grants and subcontract financing, documentation and accounting for cost share/match; assist in preparing budgets and financial reporting, train and mentor staff on policies and procedures and donor regulations and support the financial aspects of grants management and activities
General Financial Management
• Oversee two finance departments, general accounting and grant accounting and a team of financial professionals responsible for the financial management of Pact Tanzania programs and assets
• Design and implement systems and procedures following Pact standards adapted to handle specific country constraints and conditions yet ensuring effective internal controls and minimizing risks for Pact.
• Ensure timely monthly closings and backup of the financial system.
• Supervise the finance team in reviewing cash receipts and disbursement transactions such as but not limited to travel, advances and liquidations of sub-grantee expenses, and vendor transactions – ensuring adequacy of supporting documents and appropriate cost accounting allocations.
• Work with the relevant Program Departments on integrated management of all project finances to ensure effective use of resources in order to achieve program objectives in compliance of all donor requirements.
• Approve and submit monthly cash requirement requests for Pact Tanzania operations and programs in the country ensuring that cash balance maintained is not excessive.
• Provide training and/or guidance to field staff on Pact policies, procedures and requirements; donor guidelines, procedures and requirements; rules and regulations.
• Ensure that monthly financial reporting is sent to Pact headquarters on time with appropriate cover information.
• Oversee the preparation of bank reconciliations and assure adequate financial resources are maintained.
• Monitor exchange rates and make timely decisions regarding drawdowns and cash transfers
• Review monthly Financial Reports from field programs for completeness and accuracy; ensure appropriate budget approvals, and submit to HQ Finance department.
• Monitor timely resolution of questioned or unallowable costs including sub-awards
• Review Program Status Reports received from headquarters and provide Director of Finance and Administration, Regional Finance Representative and the Program Departments with up-to-date information and pipeline projections that may be needed by donor CTOs.
• Oversee Pact Tanzania inventory controls.
• In conjunction with the program managers, Operations manager and other members of Pact’s program team, prepare budgets for cost extensions, new proposals and program revisions with the objective of full cost recovery and realistic cost projections.
• Provide timely response to HQ Finance Team providing copies of supporting documentation and responding to requests for information from external/internal auditors. Manage any donor-initiated audits in conjunction with Pact HQ Finance Team.
• Manage annual compliance audits of Pact Tanzania accounts
• Approve all formal financial reports before they are sent by Pact to the relevant donor.
Agreements and Subcontract Financial Management
• In collaboration with the Agreements Management Department design, develop and adapt policies, guidelines and criteria for the management of sub-recipient and subcontractor financing using the Pact worldwide standards for the conditions and constraints of the specific country.
• Oversight of and coordination with the Agreements Management unit as well as training/mentoring of staff where necessary in the financial management of the programs’ grant agreements with local and international NGO's.
• Supervise regular site visits by finance staff to conduct site visits to audit sub- grantee transactions matching expenditures to adequate supporting documentation.
• Support financial management of sub-grants including processing advances/liquidations, monitoring/compliance visits and close-out procedures.
• Ensure financial monitoring systems are in place and generate timely and relevant reports, including analysis and tracking of sub contracts commitments, obligations, awards and liquidations.
• Equip staff to provide technical assistance to local NGO's in the area of financial management and sub contract compliance.
• Maintain chart of accounts to ensure proper tracking and reporting for internal use and grant requirement
• Work with the Operations Manager to ensure timely Agreements implementation in compliance.
• Provide input and approval of financial progress and final reports on programs and projects are submitted in accordance with USAID and other donor reporting requirements in a timely fashion, in conjunction with HQ and relevant Program Departments.
• Facilitate meetings between Agreements, Program and Finance department to review sub-grants matrix; reconciliation between Accounting records and sub-grants matrix; and harmonization of work-plans between grants and program staff.
• Liaison with Headquarters Agreement Management unit where necessary for advice.
• Coordinate with other Program and Operations Department for training/mentoring of sub-grantees where necessary in the administration of the program’s sub-agreements with partners.
• Mentoring and training of staff to ensure they have the appropriate skill levels for their positions and are developing their full potential.
• Oversight of budget preparation, processes and management in conjunction with the relevant program managers, including the development and review of relevant standard costs and scales for the programs. Track expenditures and provide justification for allocations and reclassifications, when required.
• Approve journal vouchers and ensure accurate, current, and complete entries into the financial management system including ensuring adequate supporting documentation
• Monitor expenditures against budgets.
• Oversight of preparation of budgets and revenue plans based on information from Program Departments
• Assist in development and tracking of budgets for field programs.
• Perform any other job as may be assigned by the Director of Finance and Administration from time to time
Qualifications and Competencies:
• Masters / Higher Degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting or a relevant field is required (including a Bachelor of Arts (BA.) / Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field).
• Must be a Certified Public Accountant - CPA(T), a Professional Accounting Certification registered and endorsed by the Tanzanian the National Board of Accountants and Auditors (NBAA).
• Practical knowledge of USAID rules and regulations, familiarity with other donors a plus
• Demonstrated capacity to create and/or maintain systems and procedures for managing complex programs with many implementation sites, partners and beneficiaries
• Ability and willingness to work in a challenging and dynamic environment
• Ability to exercise sound business judgment to wisely prioritize and successfully perform multiple and complex tasks.
• Minimum of 6 years of direct financial management and supervisory experience required
• Prior experience at a similar level of responsibility in amount of resources managed.
• Experience in financial management of US Government contracts and/or sub contracts a must, preferably USAID.
• Audit experience will be an added advantage.
• Skilled in accounting and financial management software
• Excellent computer skills and proficient in excel, word, outlook and internet banking
• Knowledge of QuickBooks/ACCPAC a big plus
• Effective written and oral communications skills that are essential to building relationships with donors, host country counterparts, and partner organizations.
• Good analytical skills.
• Excellent communication skills both verbal and written Kiswahili and English
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 72
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.