Jobs at:College of Surgeons of the East, Central and Southern Africa (COSECSA).
Deadline of this Job:
15 October 2021
Date Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Overall Purpose of the Job
The ECSA-HC is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons who are nationals of Member
States for the post of Finance Officer for the College of Surgeons for the East, Central and
Southern Africa (COSECSA). The Finance Officer will be responsible for managing the financial
resources of COSECSA by ensuring that proper accounting records are maintained and reports
are generated in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance with COSECSA and regulatory
Duties and Responsibilities
Financial Planning and Analysis
• Lead the COSECSA planning and budgeting process including the institutional,
• project and activity budgets
• Provide financial projections for the College in consultation with the Treasurer and
• Monitor budget execution and ensure that all COSECSA expenditures are within the
• approved budgets and that only approved expenditure is inquired.
• Prepare periodic reports as required including budget versus actual revenue and
• expenditures and justification for significant variances
• Work with the COSECSA team to develop activity budgets before the
implementation of key activities
• Track and update all student and fellows income including programme registration,
• examination, graduation and annual subscription fees.
• Maintain up-to-date financial records in the accounting system including expenditures,
• assets, liabilities, cash-flow and for all project assignments at COSECSA.
• Track donor reporting timelines and submit accurate financial reports as per donor
• Reconcile transactions between COSECSA head office and the country chapter
• accounts and maintain a clear record of outstanding receivable and/or payable
• Prepare timely and accurate financial disbursement requests to ECSA-HC through
• the COO for COSECSA activities.
• Ensure that country disbursement requests and accountability reports are received on
• Process imperest payments to staff and follow up for timely accountability and booking
• of related expenses.
• Prepare monthly financial reports for discussion with the COO
• Prepare quarterly financial reports for submission to the COSECSA Council
• Process monthly reconciliations including bank reconciliations, payables and
• Track fixed assets and record depreciation.
• Process supplier payments on a timely basis
• Process monthly payroll as well as payment of statutory deductions
• Assist with the monthly end closing of the accounts
Audit and Internal Controls
• Work with the ECSA HC Finance Director to ensure that all policies and procedures
• relating to audit are respected and audits carried out in a timely manner.
• Work with the COO-COSECSA and ECSA-HC to formulate and implement new policies
• as and when required.
• Ensure strict internal controls to ensure compliance with ECSA-HC and Donor
• requirements and support the COSECSA team to adhere.
• Ensure proper supporting documents are maintained and accessible
• Lead the audit support required for the COSECSA books of accounts from field work
• upto the signing of the audit reports
Programme and Technical Support
• Support the COO in the development of budgets/financial proposals for concept notes and
• activity proposals to new and existing donors
• Compile end project financial reports for submission to the Collaboration Partners
• Work with the examination officers to ensure only trainees who have cleared their fees are
• eligible to register for training and/or sit examinations
• Compile project reports in conjunction with relevant COSECSA technical staff.
• Any other support that might be required by the team
Qualifications and Work Experience
• A first degree in Business Management and Accounting or any other related discipline
• A Master’s degree in the relevant field will be an added advantage
• Minimum of five years’ work experience in accounting or business management
• Five years’ experience in financial management of Donor funded projects
• Experience in transactional accounting specifically the input of financial data into an
• accounting system
• Experience in financial accounting and preparation of financial reports and donor reports
• Experience in using MS Office and common accounting software packages
• Working knowledge of SAP Accounting programme
• Essential Skills and Competencies Required
• Good communication and report writing skills.
• Capacity to work in a multicultural environment
• Project management skills and experience
• Team player with strong team work skills
• Language: Fluency in both spoken and written English
• Age: Applicants must be aged between 30 and 45 years of age
• Contract Appointment; This will be a two-year contract appointment renewable upon
• satisfactory performance and subject to availability of funding.
• Remuneration Package
• An attractive package at officer level will be offered to the right candidate. The package details
• may be obtained on request from the Director General, ECSA Health Community, Arusha
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Nationals of members States who wish to apply for the Post should do so by submitting the following:
• Brief Application Letter stating why the candidate feels suitable for the Post
• Detailed Curriculum Vitae.
• Certified copies of Educational and Professional Certificates
• Names of three (3) referees with their addresses including telephone, fax and email
• Complete application with the subject “Application for the post of Finance
Officer of COSECSA” should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with copies to
Applications should reach the address below by 15th October 2021.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.