Senior Financial Management Operations Officer
Jobs at:African Development Bank
Deadline of this Job:
23 April 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Executing the operations fiduciary function for the Bank in projects and programs that it finances , including through: (i) conducting country, sector and project level FM assessments and related capacity development action plans; (ii) providing FM-related support for country dialogue; (iii) supporting development of regional professional FM networks; and (iv) participating in donors coordination meetings in their areas for promoting better coordination and effective resources mobilization; and
Contributing to capacity development of Bank and Borrowers’ FM staff, including (i) coaching, (ii) mentoring, (iii) training and (iv) upgrading of the skills.
• Under the oversight and guidance of the Division Manager, Financial Management for Central, North and West Regions, and the direct technical supervision of the Regional Financial Management Coordinator, the Senior Financial Management Operations Officer will:
• During the project/program preparation and appraisal cycle missions, assess the adequacy of the Borrower’s project financial management systems and their ability to manage and monitor Bank financed projects. This includes budgeting, internal control, treasury management, accounting, financial reporting and external auditing;
• Attend negotiations and ensure Financial Management issues are taken into account in the financing agreement and other associated documentations;
• Participate in project/program launching missions to assist the project/program team in developing capacity building of the Executing Agencies in the area of financial management;
• Carry out supervision work to ensure that projects financial management systems are functioning appropriately, including the periodic review of project financial reports for financial performance;
• Review audited financial statements received, monitor the Borrower’s compliance with financial covenants including audit compliance, ensure adequate communication with the Borrower and the project implementing agencies with respect to audits and advise as appropriate;
• Provide advice and support to Borrowers and the Bank Project Teams on matters affecting financial management and disbursement on capacity building in projects and with public sector accountability institutions;
• Assess the selection and recruitment of external independent auditors, ensuring their suitability including their independence, and competence to perform;
• Play an active role in Public Financial Management diagnostic work and reforms action plans;
• Play an active role in Country Portfolio Performance Reviews (CPPRs) /Country Strategy Paper (CSPs) from the financial management perspective and draft the FM sections of the CPPR/CSP report;
• Undertake Financial Management Capacity building in Regional Member Countries and sector departments in the Bank;
• Play an active role in departmental or institutional task forces on developing and implementing changes to financial management policies and practices, fiduciary safeguards and the efficiency and effectiveness of business processes;
• Participate in donor coordination meetings and in country dialogue platforms between the country and the donors on the basis of the overall Bank’s strategy to support aid effectiveness;
• Participate in fiduciary clinics;
• Undertake other activities, as appropriate, as requested by the Manager, Financial Management for Central, North and West Regions (SNFI2).
Competencies (skills, experience and knowledge):
• Hold a Master’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, economics or a related discipline and a professional accounting certification (CPA, CA, ACCA, Expert Comptable);
• Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience, with particular expertise in designing and supporting financial management operations of which at least three (3) in international financial Institutions;
• Experience in supporting financial management private sector operations would be an added advantage;
• An understanding of cross-cutting issues beyond financial management (e.g. procurement, governance, donors’ practices) at sector/country level;
• Expert knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs), International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS), International Standards on Auditing (ISA), International Standards of Supreme Audit Institutions (ISSAIs);
• Proven ability to implement country or sector level financial management analytical and capacity building initiatives;
• Strong planning, organization, and time management skills;
• Excellent analytical skills;
• Ability to be flexible, open-minded with integrity, client and results oriented for achieving both Bank’s and Borrowers’ objectives;
• Ability to work as part of a team, maintain effective and cooperative relations with sector specialists, national authorities as well as donors, and handle sensitive issues with discretion in a multicultural environment.
• Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in French with a working knowledge of the English language.
• Competence with standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), preferably combined with knowledge and experience of SAP operations.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for further assessment will be contacted. Applicants should submit a concise Curriculum Vitae (CV) and any additional documents that may be stated as required. The President of the African Development Bank reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. http://www.afdb.org
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.