Senior Finance Assistant, G7
Jobs at:International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals
Deadline of this Job:
09 May 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The post is located in the Finance Section, Registry of the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals (MICT), The Arusha Branch. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Finance Officer.
• Under the supervision of the Finance Officer, Head of Accounts and Cashier, the incumbent will perform Accounts related functions including month-end and year-end closure related tasks, regular reconciliation of accounts, supervision of billing operations, VAT claims, bank reconciliation, trust fund reports and recording of incoming deposits.
• The incumbent will provide authoritative guidance of fixed asset accounting.
• The incumbent will also be drafting replies to audit observations.
• The incumbent is expected to analyse complex and/or unusual accounting transactions and difficult claims for travel, vendors, third parties, taxes, etc; as well as review and reconcile various Open Items Managed (OIM) accounts to ensure appropriate balances and allocation.
• The incumbent is also expected to develop reports to analyse, monitor and report the accounts on a periodic basis.
• The incumbent will also assist in the preparation of financial statements for various funds, approve payment and journal vouchers for various claims/payments ensuring compliance with relevant rules and control procedures.
• He/she will also provide guidance and training (including the preparation of training materials) to staff with respect to transaction processing and the use of Umoja system.
• Under the supervision of the Head of the Unit, the incumbent will help to provide advice and guidance regarding the United Nations’ financial regulations, rules, policies, and procedures to junior staff and clients.
• With the Umoja system, the workflow is now more transversal and requires the incumbent to work across organizational lines, as such, the incumbent will troubleshoot issues in cooperation with other service lines (budget, travel office, HR, GSS, etc.).
• The incumbent is anticipated to draft/prepare memoranda/letters to various offices, departments, and entities.
• He/she will also be drafting SOPs and training materials on IPSAS/Umoja/Finance as required.
• The incumbent will help to respond to queries from staff members and third parties as needed.
• He/she will also perform any other duties as may be required to backstop staff in finance section.
• Professionalism – Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
• Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Planning and Organising – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
• Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organisational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
• Managing Performance – Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority. Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member. Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills. Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines. Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff. Encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative. Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff. Appraises performance fairly.
• High school diploma or equivalent is required. Advance knowledge of Excel is required. Extensive knowledge of SAP (Umoja) is required. Thorough understanding of IPSAS is required. Certificate/coursework/training in accounting, finance or directly related fields is highly desirable.
• Work Experience
• Applicants are required to have at least 10 years progressively responsible experience, preferably within the UN system, in finance/accounting.
• Minimum 3 years experience applying International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) is required.
• Minimum 3 years of asset accounting is required.
• English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of the other is highly desirable.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply follow this link https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=179117&Lang=en-US
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.