Government Relations Director
Jobs at:Nature Conservancy
Deadline of this Job:
17 January 2022
Date Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
A Little About Us
Founded in 1951, the Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. We are tackling climate change, conserving lands, waters, and oceans at an unprecedented scale, providing food and water sustainably, and helping make cities more sustainable. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we strive for a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, including all 50 United States, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter .
The Nature Conservancy Africa program follows a holistic approach to protect vital lands and waters, transform the way natural resources are used and managed, and inspire to equip others to contribute to the shared vision of a healthy and sustainable future for Africa’s lands, waters, wildlife, and people. Our vision for Africa is rooted in its people – and our conservation approach focuses on working with local communities, governments, and organizations to conserve and enhance Africa’s shared resources. TNC currently has offices in seven countries in Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, Gabon, Botswana, Zambia, South Africa, and Seychelles) and is involved in numerous other countries with partner organizations.
Your Position With Tnc
The Africa Government Relations Director is a senior management position that serves as a member of the Africa Leadership Team within TNC’s Africa Region. This position is expected to plan, implement, and coordinate programs to support governments, design and implement policy-based initiatives/outcomes that support TNC’s Shared Conservation Agenda (SCA) and 2030 goals. Reporting to the Africa Regional Managing Director, the job will be based at the TNC regional office in Nairobi, Kenya, and will supervise the TNC Country Program Directors and work closely with the Conservation Director.
The Africa Government Relations Director will lead engagement with partner governments where we work. This position will work with national and intergovernmental institutions, development institutions, non-governmental organizations and business entities at all levels to further the Conservancy’s mission whilst helping governments achieve their regional and international biodiversity and climate change commitments. They will coordinate internationally negotiated agreements, legislative, administrative, and corporate initiatives and policies related to The Nature Conservancy’s mission or programs. They will develop strategic partnerships to achieve TNC’s conservation goals and help shape the regional and national conservation strategies /initiatives to help government achieve their commitments through regular contact with country, regional and multilateral officials, institutions, and/or corporate representatives regarding actions related to the mission of The Nature Conservancy. The Africa Government Relations Director will represent The Nature Conservancy before special interest groups and engage key public and private officials to increase support for TNC’s mission, and programs funding and development of policy statements.
Responsibilities And Scope
• Applies a diversified knowledge of best practices to lead TNC’s government relations efforts within the region and countries where we work.
• Support country programs and strategy leads to develop and implement government relations strategies.
• Work with TNC country programs, partner governments and other NGOs and/or multilateral agencies to drive policy agenda in support of TNC’s work in the region to design strategies for and encourage the adoption of policies at the national level to help those countries develop and meet their commitments to their respective targets under the CBD and UNFCCC.
• Manage and provide strategic direction to TNC Africa’s policy work, fostering enabling conditions to achieve desired policy results.
• Lead and coordinate policy work in line with TNC Africa’s programs and strategies.
• Works with the Africa Region External Affairs team and other partners to engage with public funding agencies in our countries, such as international lending agencies, bilateral development groups, and private investors, to create understanding of and support for TNC Africa priorities.
• Support program objectives by working in a complex matrix organization environment collaboratively within a cross-functional interdisciplinary team.
• Acts independently within broad program goals, i.e., community-based and landscape-level conservation, sustainable finance, smart development, science and capacity building, and strategic partnerships.
• Manages multi-disciplinary administrative and professional staff with responsibility for performance management, training, and career development. Establishes clear directions and sets stretch objectives.
• Demonstrated ability to network and communicate effectively about TNC Africa.
• Develops and administers departmental budget and has authority to modify budget based on changing circumstances. Operates within budget guidelines to ensure sound financial performance.
• Work checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than by directives of superiors.
• Ensures that program meets all lobbying, contractual and legal regulations and standards.
• Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of related senior-level work experience, including current and evolving political, legislative and conservation trends on a regional and/or international level.
• Experience working with current and evolving political, legislative, sustainability, and/or conservation trends on an international, regional, country, and sub-national level.
• Fluency in English and knowledge of other languages within the geographies we work.
• Experience building strong relationships across an organization and with partners such as corporations, public agencies, donors, and/or volunteers.
• Experience managing and supervising a large multi-disciplinary team and managing a program budget.
• Experience in directing or participating in complex negotiations and presenting to and communicating with government officials, corporate executives, board members and others.
• Experience designing, implementing, and directing multiple and multifaceted projects, setting deadlines and ensuring program accountability.
• Experience in public policy, conservation/environmental policy, regulatory advocacy, and public funding.
• Experience communicating complex processes and ideas effectively to a variety of audiences within and outside an organization.
Postgraduate degree in relevant field, such as business development, corporate governance or strategic management or international development will be an added advantage.
Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural experience appreciated. French and Portuguese an advantage
Experience with corporate social responsibility or corporate sustainability.
Outstanding analytical, policy influencing, and project management capabilities. Demonstrated ability to successfully develop and implement complex projects in an unstructured environment.
Outstanding written and oral communication, negotiating, and organizational skills.
Independent and self-motivated with the ability to participate effectively in a remote team environment.
Demonstrated Fundraising experience.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Apply here https://careers.nature.org/psc/tnccareers/APPLICANT/APPL/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=50871&PostingSeq=1&PortalActualURL=https%3a%2f%2fcareers.nature.org%2fpsc%2ftnccareers%2fAPPLICANT%2fAPPL%2fc%2fHRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL%3fPage%3dHRS_APP_JBPST_FL%26Action%3dU%26FOCUS%3dApplicant%26SiteId%3d1%26JobOpeningId%3d50871%26PostingSeq%3d1&PortalRegistryName=APPLICANT&PortalServletURI=https%3a%2f%2fcareers.nature.org%2fpsp%2ftnccareers%2f&PortalURI=https%3a%2f%2fcareers.nature.org%2fpsc%2ftnccareers%2f&PortalHostNode=APPL&NoCrumbs=yes&PortalKeyStruct=yes
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.