Finance Analyst – Africa region
Jobs at:The Nature Conservancy (TNC)
Deadline of this Job:
07 September 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
What we can achieve together
• The Financial Analyst provides highly specialized services in the following functions: proposal budget development; development and consolidation of annual budgets, analysis and reporting to management, financial analysis, donor reporting and cost recovery; or similar financial activities for the Africa Region Business Unit. Exemplifies a high level of expertise in area(s) of program reporting, proposals, and advanced analysis. Administers and maintains finance/accounting activities in accordance with TNC policies and procedures and best practices in financial management. The Financial Analyst supports program managers in reporting, budgeting, and financial management. The Financial Analyst will report to the Associate Director of Finance, Africa region. This position will be based in any of the TNC offices in Tanzania and South Africa.
We're looking for you
• Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of Work that You Can Believe in where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience in leading a diverse, multi-disciplinary team.
• The ideal candidate should have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and experience in management of controls and reports of a business unit. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the ongoing mission of conservation by directing and shaping the work of our team!
Responsibilities to include:
• Prepares financial reports and analysis for programs that compare budgets to actual results, while recommending corrective action as appropriate.
• Supports and proactively informs leadership team on overall performance of the program and projects revenue, expenditure, cash, and net asset position.
• Supports program managers by monitoring and reporting on the spending rates of restricted and unrestricted funding to ensure proper burn rates are sustained.
• Lead the management of private awards, ensuring compliance with donor and other contractual requirements, timely reporting and close out of awards.
• Lead the financial review of programs during quarterly program review meetings. Present program financial performance using Power BI reporting tool, highlight performance from revenue and expenditure perspective, awards spending, identify and discuss areas for attention and action with program managers.
• Supports the Associate Director or Finance on fiscal year budgeting process. Consolidates the program and operation budgets, and presents various analysis reports to the budget committee.
• Collaborates with conservation, development, external affairs and grants teams on budget development, funding proposals and fiscal program planning.
• Monitoring budgets and Awards performance and provide observations.
• Manage private awards grants out portfolio for grants <$300,000 in collaboration with Finance Specialist and supervises the Finance specialist.
• Ensures Indirect Cost is fully recovered from all public and private awards and transferred to relevant General & Administrative projects prior to year-end close.
• Builds program managers’ capacity on budgeting, financial reporting, and monitoring tools.
• Reinforces consistency in the organization's policies and procedures and provides support related to relevant field.
• Performs any other finance tasks deemed necessary for the smooth operations of the finance department.
What you'll bring
• Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and 4 years' related experience or equivalent combination.
• Professional certification such as a CPA or ACCA.
• Experience using accounting and financial reporting systems.
• Experience in manipulating, analyzing and interpreting data with a mastery over formulas for handling complex tasks.
• Advanced expertise in Microsoft Excel includes Pivot tables, advanced conditional formatting , VLOOKUP, Index match , data analytics and simulations
• Experience with complex relational databases. Knowledge of Microsoft’s Power BI application is an advantage
• Experience in full cost budgeting.
• Experience in supporting multiple projects in various locations and/or countries.
• Demonstrated innovations in financial systems and tools.
• Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
• Multi-lingual skills and/or multi-cultural experience appreciated.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of current trends in budgeting, financial reporting, and analysis.
• Demonstrated use of modern technology in providing financial solutions.
• Demonstrated high level of integrity and trust.
What we bring
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, Retirement Pension Stipend , parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work wellbeing benefits. Learn more about our benefits at in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work-environment that is supportive of the health, wellbeing, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.