Deputy Director of Conservation
Jobs at:Africa at Nature Conservancy
Deadline of this Job:
06 March 2023
Date Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Role Scope and Key Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the successful delivery and high-quality sustainable outcomes of TNC-led long-term protection initiatives in Africa.
• Building partnerships across NGO, government, private sector and community actors to achieve a set of targeted, collaborative and equitable protection goals.
• Facilitate coordination, communication and effective execution of protection deals between program, country, regional and global TNC leads.
• Provide strategic leadership and support conservation planning that brings together conservation priorities, policy, governance and financial modeling into blueprints to scale conservation outcomes.
• Provide oversight to the Planning and Implementation Phases of the Kenya and Gabon Project Finance for Permanence (PFP) deals and future deals that are currently still being scoped.
• Provide leadership to the implementation of the Kenya Focal Place Phase 2, and mobilization of global support.
• Serve as the principle contact to government agencies, other conservation organizations, foundations and the academic community as far as long-term sustainable protection strategies are concerned.
• Work with the regional finance team in annual budgeting and ensure conservation program objectives and costing are aligned.
• Lead and manage a team that focuses on scaling proven conservation efforts by establishing long-term sustainable and equitable mechanisms in the countries that TNC has prioritized in Africa.
• Play a leading role in donor and investor identification, cultivation, and stewardship for durable protection.
• Responsible for the dissemination of best practices and development of key partnerships.
• Build strategic, financial, and technical capacity in the field, develop key partnerships with public and private organizations in order to identify and resolve technical issues and to widely communicate solutions and best practices, and develop innovative durable financing mechanisms, analyses, tools, and frameworks to address ecosystem needs.
• BA/BS degree and 12 years’ experience in conservation practice or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• At least 5 years project management experience.
• Experience designing, implementing, and directing complex or multiple projects of strategic importance, including managing finances, supervising multidisciplinary professionals, and coordinating the work of partners while meeting deadlines.
• Experience working with current trends and practices in relevant discipline(s) especially conservation finance, biodiversity, climate mitigation, and community development in Africa.
• Experience in partnership development with overseas development agencies, investors, non-profit partners, community groups and government departments.
• Fundraising experience, including identifying donor prospects and donor cultivation.
• Supervisory experience, including motivating, leading, setting objectives, and managing performance.
• Experience networking with high level conservation contacts.
• Experience conceiving and implementing strategic, durable, and creative initiatives.
• Experience negotiating complex agreements.
• Experience working in an organizational matrix setting.
• Strong English and French communications skills, including ability to communicate clearly via written, oral, and graphical forms, and ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
• Strong strategic development skills.
• Multi-lingual and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
• Master’s degree and 12-15 years’ experience in conservation practice or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience developing long-term sustainable protection mechanisms in Africa.
• Knowledge of current trends in conservation practice in Africa.
• A passion for wildlife, wild places and the people that inhabit these.
• Politically savvy.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, gender identities, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• To apply for job ID 53088 submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com
• The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
• TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
• Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
• An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
• Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.