Accounts and Administrative Assistant
Deadline of this Job:
15 October 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Eastern Arc Mountains Conservation Endowment Fund (EAMCEF) is a Trust Fund that was established as a mechanism to provide sustainable financing for effective conservation of biological resources in the Eastern Arc Mountains of Tanzania. The Eastern Arc Mountains Conservation Endowment Fund was initially conceived as a joint initiative of the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania, the Board of Trustees, the World Bank and the Global Environment Facility (GEF). The Fund aims at providing long- term and reliable funding support to conservation activities related to the promotion of biological diversity, improvement of ecological functions and sustainable use of natural resources in priority areas of the Eastern Arc Mountains. The Eastern Arc Mountains ecosystem forms a major portion of the Eastern Afromontane Region which is recognized globally as one of the 34 biodiversity hotspots characterized by high concentrations of endemic species now under serious threat. Major mountain blocks of the Eastern Arc spread over fifteen districts in five regions of Tanzania namely, Tanga (East and West Usambara and Nguu Mountains), Kilimanjaro (South and North Pare Mountains), Morogoro (Udzungwa, Ukaguru, Nguru, Rubeho, Malundwe, Mahenge and Uluguru Mountains), Iringa (Udzungwa Mountains) and Dodoma (Rubeho Mountains). Governed by a Board of Trustees, the Fund was officially registered in Tanzania in June 2001 under the Trustees’ Incorporation Act (Cap. 318 R.E 2002) and it operates as a not-for-profit Conservation Finance
Trust organization with its day-to-day operations being run by the Endowment Fund Secretariat. The Fund’s Executive Director is the Head of the Secretariat with the main administrative offices located in Morogoro Municipality.
The Eastern Arc Mountains forests are under considerable pressure due to various human activities as a result of increased population. Threats leading to biodiversity loss include expansion of human settlements, shifting cultivation, forest fires, extraction of wood for commercial and domestic uses, gold mining, dry season grazing, extraction of non-wood forest products including honey, fruits, medicines, natural ropes, resins, mushrooms and game hunting. Effective control of the drivers of deforestation and forest degradation now ongoing in the Eastern Arc Mountains can only be assured through the EAMCEF’s unequivocal commitment to taking exceptional care of the Eastern Arc Mountains ecosystem and all stakeholders impacting positively/negatively on its biological resources.
Whereas requirements for financial resources necessary for effective conservation of the Eastern Arc Mountains are quite enormous, the financial position of EAMCEF is currently very modest. Thus, EAMCEF needs to mobilize more resources from all possible sources so as to increase its capital base as well as enhance its capacity to finance its operations and programme activities. In order for the resource mobilization efforts to be plausibly effective, aggressive fundraising, promotion and marketing, engagement and visibility activities will need to concurrently be undertaken. Mobilization of sufficient resources and effective conservation efforts to secure and save the unique natural heritage can only be possible if the now vacant positions will be filled by suitably qualified and competent professional staff as detailed below
The following requirements will apply to all the posts now available in the Endowment Fund Secretariat
• Proven ability in writing and speaking both English and Kiswahili Languages.
• The EAMCEF Head Office in Morogoro Municipality will be the duty station for each of the positions.
• All the positions are equally available for both female and male Tanzanian applicants; female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Excellent knowledge and proven ability in working with computers and a variety of computer programmes especially Microsoft Office applications (e.g. MS-Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, E-Mails, Internet, etc.) and establishment and management of databases.
• Ability to work under pressure and for extended hours including working on week – ends and holidays as it may be required from time to time.
• Mature, energetic, hardworking, versatile and self-motivated.
• Obedient, honest, trustful, fast learner, smart and socially active.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently or under minimum supervision, effectively supervise and lead others.
• Working experience in relevant fields of more than three years with reputable projects/programmes/ organizations.
• Each appointed Candidate will report and be answerable to the Executive Director.
• Only one (1) position is available for each of the vacant posts.
Terms and Conditions of Employment
A Contract of two years will be issued to each of the successful applicants upon satisfactory performance during the probationary period of the first three months. Depending on the ability to perform the assigned duties, the Contract may be renewed at the end of the second year. An attractive remuneration package will be offered to the selected candidate commensurate with professional qualifications and working experience.
POSITIONS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful Accounts and Administrative Assistant (AA) will be a principal player in all matters, aspects, activities and functions pertaining to accounts and financial management, operations and administration in the Endowment
Fund Secretariat (EFS). The principal duties and responsibilities of the selected Accounts and Administrative Assistant (AA) will include and not be limited to the following;
• Act as principal and immediate assistant to the Finance and Administration Officer and appropriately assist, back – stop and gap – fill in his/her functions as needed.
• Data entry and analysis for a variety of issues and subjects.
• Preparation of financial transaction documents, e.g. payment vouchers, requisitions, purchase orders, payrolls, etc.
• Originating and initiating the payment process for various transactions as needed.
• Undertaking the preparation and writing of cheques, posting in cash books, payment registers, ledgers, etc.
• Assisting in verification of financial expenditure reports submitted by Project grants recipients/implementers.
• Assisting in the preparation of reports and documentation required for internal and external auditing as appropriate.
• Assisting in the preparation of periodical reports as appropriate on weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually and annually basis, e.g. cash book summaries, financial transaction reports, bank reconciliations, grants disbursement reports, investment portfolio reports, etc
• Following up on creditors, debtors and suppliers/service providers as needed.
• Making cheque and cash payments for staff, customers and partners as appropriate.
• Playing the role of a cashier and doing banking and bank transactions as required.
• Logging in, inventorying and updating stores and fixed assets registers.
• Playing the role of a transport officer and effectively assisting in the management, maintenance, servicing, use and control of vehicles and their movements as required and appropriate.
• Summarizing vehicle log books and preparing monthly, quarterly, semi-annually and annually vehicle reports.
• Back-stopping and assisting in stores management including store keeping, proper receiving and issuing of goods and stores.
• Undertaking purchases of minor items and participating in the procurement functions as needed.
• Be responsible for maintenance and operation of the Head Office Petty Cash Imprest
• Assisting in various administrative and management issues and aspects as appropriate.
• Ensuring office buildings and the compound are clean and maintained in good order and condition at all times.
• Ensuring that all payment requisitions are complete with all the necessary supporting documentation such as proforma invoices/bids, local purchase orders, selection minutes, delivery notes, tax invoices, etc. before making payments.
• Ensuring that all payments are properly coded and cancelled by PAID stamp.
• Recording and posting of approved financial transactions into the accounting system.
• Making and processing advance payments including travel advances, sub-contractors/grantees advances, etc.
• Preparing monthly statutory returns e.g. PAYE and other statutory contributions in a timely and accurate manner and ensuring all the filing is appropriately done.
• Assisting in audit planning and preparation for auditing and timely resolution of audit issues.
• Doing any other activity and function as may be instructed by the Executive Director and other Senior Staff from time to time.
• Advanced Diploma or First Degree in Accountancy, Commerce, Finance, Accounting and Finance, or its equivalent from a recognized and reputable higher learning institution.
• Excellent knowledge, practical experience and competency in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) applications and familiarity with a variety of accounting programmes, packages and softwares.
• Excellent knowledge and experience in accounts payables, receivables, cash, bank transactions and maintaining the general ledger.
• Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing financial and accounting information.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality concerning financial and employees/vendors information and files.
• Possession of necessary skills and relevant experience in administration and personnel management, bookkeeping and attention to minor details
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Well qualified and interested professionals should lodge their well written applications to the undersigned not later than 15th October, 2022. Application letters with detailed CVs, copies of relevant certificates, testimonials and names of three easily contactable referees should be timely made. Only shortlisted applicants will be called for one or more interviews within two months from the application deadline.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Executive Director,
Eastern Arc Mountains Conservation Endowment Fund (EAMCEF),
Plot No. 348, Forest Hill Area,
P.O. Box 6053,
MOROGORO – TANZANIA.
Telephone: +255 (0) 23 2934274
Cellphone: +255 (0) 755 330 558
The deadline for submitting the application is 15 October 2022.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.