Jobs at:East African Health Research Commission
Deadline of this Job:
21 October 2022
Date Posted: Monday, October 03, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Accounts Assistant (EAHRC/HR/2022/001) at East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC) September, 2022
African Health Research Commission (EAHRC) is an Institution of the East African Community (EAC) established by the 5th Extra-Ordinary Summit of the EAC Heads of State on 18th June 2007. The EAHRC has been established as a mechanism for making available to the community, advice upon all matters of health and health related researches and findings necessary for knowledge generation, technological development, policy formulations, practices and related matters. The vision of the Commission is high quality research for improvement of the health and well-being of the people of the community; its mission is to coordinate and promote the conduct of health research; to source, gather and disseminate the findings for the purpose of policy formulations. The overall objective of the Commission is to improve the health of the citizens in the Partner States through capacity building and poverty reduction by promoting, co-ordinating and formulating policies for effective utilization of results from health research. The E.A.H.R.C has the following employment opportunities available:-
A) Accounts Assistant (Eahrc/Hr/2022/001)
Location: Bujumbura – Burundi
Report to: Accountant
Period of Tenure: 06 Months
Open to all EAC Partner States
Facilitate the processing of payment for goods and services, update the ledger accounts, conduct bank reconciliations and generate periodic functional reports. Ensure that records and books of accounts are complete, accurate and up to date.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Update ledger journals;
• Verify paid cheques by reviewing the bank statements;
• Verify all banking receipts to confirm that cash has been banked;
• Review the bank statements to confirm any direct payments, direct transfers or charges
• levied against EAHRC accounts;
• Ensure correct processing of the receipt and voucher files;
• Process staff payroll including updating the payroll by ensuring that all deductions and
• refunds to staff through the salaries are done timely.
• Verify and ensure that all the paid cheque vouchers, duly signed, coded with correct
• accounts and properly filed;
• Post all the payments and receipts into the Sun System;
• Manage petty cash;
• Record all petty cash requests and payments;
• Process petty cash payments upon confirmation of approvals to the respective beneficiaries;
• Prepare petty cash vouchers.
• Reconcile petty cash expenditures and prepare appropriate reports; and
• File all petty cash vouchers, banking slips, relevant attachments and ensure the safety of the documentation;
9. Provide logistical support to meetings held outside work station, which include;
• Receiving and verifying budget approvals;
• Verifying whether all Invoices from the service providers have been duly approved by the approving authorities;
• Verifying whether all invited delegates have turned up for the meeting and for those who do not turn up ensure that the tickets sent to them are submitted for reimbursement from the travel agent;
• Initiating payments of allowances to delegates and the service providers;
• Reconciling the list of participants with that of the invited delegates; and
• Receipt refunds of returned staff imprest and record the same in the cash register.
• 10. Assist in the preparation of final accounts for submission to the external auditors in accordance with the existing Financial Rules & Regulations;
• 11. Actively participate in the internal audit and external annual audit exercise.
• 12. Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Key Performance Indicators
• An updated ledger journal.
• Up-to-date transactional records.
• Monthly reconciliation updates.
• Timely processing of payment requests including payroll.
• Proper posted entries.
• Reviewed Bank records and statements.
• EAHRC is levied right Bank charges on the statements.
Qualifications, Experience & Key Competencies
• Undergraduate Degree majoring in Accounting or Finance, business or public administration CPA II, ACCA Part I or any relevant accounting certification.
• Minimum of 5 years working in a busy accounting environment.
• Competency in Accounting systems, Microsoft applications including Word, Excel and Outlook. Knowledge of Sun Systems will be an added advantage.
• Organizational, verbal and written communication skills a must.
• Must be fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of French & or Kiswahili will be an added advantage.
• Attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
• High level of Integrity & professionalism
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates are invited to submit in English, online applications with the reference clearly stated on email subject header by or before 1700hrs (Burundi local time) on 21st October 2022 to:
The Deputy Executive Secretary,
East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC)
Quartier KIGOBE, Avenue des Etats Unis, n°71
P.O. Box 350,
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.